Sunday

July 30 - Forit Bay and the unfortunate pepper spray incident

Today we picked up our dear friends Pam and Lyle in Bella Bella and they will spend a few days with us.  Trying to find great groceries up here has been a challenge.  We keep arriving and departing docks the day before the shelves are re-stocked.  But no worries today; Pam and Lyle have brought the most wonderful assortment of foodstuffs we could imagine.  We don't eat this well at home.  A few examples:  8  bars of very good chocolate, organic cheeses and local fruits and vegetables, fresh wild halibut, artisan bread, homemade galette (made with homegrown fruit) and brownies, homegrown herbs, gourmet candies and chocolates.
With Pam and Lyle onboard, we were on our way to Forit Bay.  It was later than usual when we arrived at the anchorage and getting dark by the time we took Blue "out".  A high tide left the smaller islets too small for him to make his mark.  We would need to take him ashore notwithstanding the attendant risk of wildlife encounters.
I volunteered to accompany Blue so that Rob could man the dinghy and pick us up quickly if we encountered a bear or worse. Rob agreed.  I took my pepper spray with me. Rob knew this. Rob says he told me not to. I was nervous and removed the safety from the pepper spray as I stepped off the boat.  Rob saw me remove the saftey.  Rob says he told me not to remove the safety.  The shore was rocky and very slippery.  Blue was pulling and I was struggling to keep my footing (remember the very slippery rocks).  At some point, I slipped.  I did not actually fall down but in my recovery, I discharged the pepper spray.  Rob saw me do this.  I told him I wanted to get back on the boat.  He claims that I asked him to drive to where I was standing.  In any event, that is what he did...right through an invisible cloud of pepper spray.   Rob was so angry that he apologized to me; all's well that ends well.    The ubiquitous silver lining: I know my pepper spray works. On Rob, anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I hope you're both alright. Anyway at least you had gourmet baked goods to go back too, I've found nothing cures all like a well made baked good.

    ReplyDelete